Dog Treat – Biscuits, and Bandana Instructions
Dog Treat ?
Did you know, October is adopt a pet month? My friend Branson knows this and it is why she hosts the annual blog tour in support of shelter animals in October.
To raise awareness of the availability of these animals and their need for a loving home. And your need for them!
I didn’t know how much I needed our dog until we got him.
This is the 2nd year of this worthy tour. Bloggers have shopped at thrift stores that support their local shelters & repurposed, up cycled their finds.
Without a shelter thrift in my area, I am sharing a special dog treat that my girls & I make for our local Humane Society.
The treat is darling, delicious (to the doggies) and perfect for the upcoming holidays.
Make some for the pooches in your ‘hood, your local shelter or to sell at the craft fairs you are probably involved with at school, church or elsewhere.
The recipe for the biscuit was given to us by the Humane Society ~ so it is dog approved!
- 1/2 yard or so of material
- cellophane or large zip lock bag
- ribbon or twine
- bone shape or other cookie cutter
Ingredients for the Biscuits:
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 ice water
- 6 Tbsp margarine, shortening or meat dripppings
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp brown sugar
Steps for Biscuits:
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, milk, salt & brown sugar
- Cut in shortening until grainy
- Mix in egg
- Add water until the mixture forms a ball
- Pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness
- Cut with cutter
- Gather up scraps & repeat patting & cutting
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Makes approx. 30-40 depending on the size of the cutter
Steps for rest of the Treat:
- Use pinking shears or scissors to cut a long sided triangle in a size to fit your dog
- The longest side should be: for a x small dog – 20″ small – 25″ medium – 30″ & large – 35″
- make a tag
- when biscuits are cool put 5 in a bag wrapped in the bandana
- tie on ribbon & tag – if going to a sale mark the size on back of the tag
Our Emmett LOVES these biscuits & of course he gets stocked up every time we make some to donate. They freeze well so you can make a big batch & keep some on hand.
Support you local shelter or Humane Society by shopping their thrift store, donating old sheets & towels for the cages or better yet, by opening your heart to a new family member from there.
Do not forget to PIN it on Pinterest 😀